In far away New York City, Mode emerged as the winner out of the eight finalists in the IBM SmartCamp Global Final. Mo De (Mobile Decisioning) is a nano-credit tech company from Kenya and co-winner of the IBM SmartCamp Latin American Regional. Mode provides nano-credit for mobile services and other utilities in emerging nations.
The other seven finalists were
- Captain Dash, which provides the ultimate dashboard for marketers;
- GetWay which enables any industry to precisely monitor real-time sales data;
- HistoIndex has an imaging solution which enables early detection and better treatment of fibrosis;
- Poikos has 3D body imaging technology to help online shoppers find clothes that fit;
- QuintessenceLabs has harnessed the properties of nature to better protect data;
- SkyFoundry which helps building owners and operators “find what matters” in the data produced by today’s smart systems; and
- StreetLight Data which helps retailers know how potential customers move around their city.
“MoDe goes to the heart of what it means to make the planet smarter,” Corgel said. By providing a solution and helping out people who had nowhere else to look, MoDe is making a difference, he said.
This is the third year for the IBM SmartCamp program and participants are already making an impact in the industry, Corgel said. Past SmartCamp finalists have gone on to generate more than $90 million in venture capital and angel funding following their SmartCamp appearances. In addition, several have gone to market with IBM with new solutions.