This was stated by Tony Ojobo, Director of Public Affairs of Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), during Channels Television (a local TV)’s flagship programme, Sunrise Daily, Friday last week.
“There will be a launch by the end of this month, we are going to flag it off. So we are looking at the 26th of March or there about”.
The Commission had released the draft of the guidelines about a year ago. MNP was first expected to commence in June 2012 but then postponed to September 2012 and subsequently December 2012.
NCC has already appointed a consortium of three companies; Interconnect, Saab Grintek and Telecordia; as the preferred implementers of number portability service in the country. The consortium will be responsible for the set up and implementation of the Number Portability Clearing House and provide mobile number portability solution administration in the country.
The NCC Director said the MNP will enable a consumer move from his service provider to another without losing the number he already uses despite the change in the SIM card of the consumer.
He also maintained that the service, however, would not be available to consumers who haven’t registered their SIM cards.
He further said service providers who try to woo consumers that have submitted request forms to another service provider will be dealt with by the commission.